So as some of you may know I recently, well kind of recently, moved out from my family home and across the country. It’s been a hell of a ride, from trying to carry everything I own through the underground in London to hunting for a place to live. The entire process has been very different, and mostly confusing. I’m going to give you a little list of things that I wish I would have known before moving out, in the hope that maybe it’ll let your big adventure go a little bit smoother!
- Everything costs, literally everything. – However much money you think you might have prepared for your move just expect to spent it all or a little more. It’s a great idea to get yourself a spreadsheet setup for your finances, this will let you see where your money is disappearing off to. It’ll be different depending on where you move to, but if it’s the centre of a city like me, then you’ve just been warned!
- You will miss your family 300x more than you anticipated. – So I expected to miss everyone a whole lot, but like wow. I think this was worsened due to me moving so far away from home (about a 4 hour drive) but there’s something weird about not being able to pop by and see people. Skype and FaceTime are wonderful inventions – use them.
- You don’t need that much stuff. – Again, as I moved so far away I had to trim down what I own to what I actually need. The two are very different things, this is a great way to encourage a new start as you can start to collect new things for your space. Just be smart about the things you think you need in your life.
- Finding a place to live is difficult, but it will happen. – If like me you’re moving into a city then be prepared for viewing houses, they move like wildfire. You’ll see some hilariously bad places but it’ll make for some great stories later down the line. Be aware that there will not be a perfect place – you’ll need to work on your space to make it more ‘you’ and comfortable – these things take some time. If you’re struggling try Spareroom.co.uk – that’s where I found mine, there’s always new houses or rooms going online!
- Treat yourself. – During all of this process it’s very easy to forget to treat yourself. When most of your money is disappearing on rent and bills make sure to set some aside to get the things you really want. It’ll make you far happier, and being mindful is always important. Your shiny new finances spreadsheet will make this a lot easier to do!
I guess my big piece of advice is to just be prepared, get yourself ready and go for it. You may never have the chance again so give it all you’ve got. You’ll laugh and cry, sometimes at the same time, but it will all be worth it in the end.
Think of the stories you can tell.
p.s. make sure to never miss a post – follow me on bloglovin’ !